Which green cleaning products have you had the best luck with?

Greenworks!  I had to respond – I really only use the all-purpose cleaner, but I use it for floors, bathrooms, electronics, and even my mirrors.  It’s fantastic, and whenever I need to expand my arsenal of household cleaning products I will definitely look for Greenworks first.

Here’s a list of the products with the DfE certification, in case anyone’s interested (link below).

2. emc

Green Generation paper towels (although I have come to limit my use of paper towels).  They also make toilet paper that is produced from recycled products.  Greenworks is naturally based and biodegradable.  They make all purpose cleaners and toilet bowl cleaner.  It works excellent in septic systems as well.

i really like Greenworks laundry detergent (it’s important to include laundry detergent in your list of products to get because the oxygen-injected detergents are getting into the waterways and increasing the % of oxygen in the water and affecting the wildlife… obviously).

For standard households, i really like the Method products from Target, mostly because of the price.  Also, I like the actual results the products produce, from the window cleaner to the toilet cleaner to the hand soap.  It smells good, non-toxic and biodegradable.

I think for different products you have to shop around a bit for the best brand. I really like Ecover’s dishwashing tablets and laundry powdered detergent. There products are plant-based and biodegradable, and, it tends to be one of the more affordable green brands. Then for paper towels (of which, like emc, I’ve limited my use), I prefer Green Forest – it’s 100% recycled and made from 90% post consumer waste.

The National Resource Defense Council has an excellent website which includes tables comparing different green products (see link below).

It may take a little more elbow grease and patience, but I am an advocate for good old-fashioned: vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, salt, and cornstarch–in various combinations for varying uses (see link for mixtures). I admit they are not effective for all situations, but they are a good starting point. 

I found the BEST liquid laundry soap, made by a little company in Kansas City. (I don’t live in KC, so I know they distribute to a wider audience.) It’s called Zum, frankincense and myrrh variety. It smells so good and gets my clothes really clean, plus it’s 100% biodegradable. Find it online, along with other similar products, at Indigo Wild.