Which dogs live for the longest?

Minature poodles on average, live the longest of any breed of dog. The oldest dog to ever live was an Australian cattle dog, to the ripe old age of 29. It is said that you can determine the general length of a dog’s lifespan (short or long) by the shape of it’s face. A longer, wolf-like face indicates a lengthy lifespan.

Typically, the larger the dog, the shorter the lifespan. As huelo noted, the longest living breed is the miniature poodle, obviously a very small dog. Large breeds, such as great Danes and deerhounds, live on average 6-8 years. According to Kimberly Greer, PhD, a processor at Indiana University East, the dog’s lifespan is dependent on its weight, not its height. For example, a short-statured dog like the English bulldog is still considered a large breed (or at least not a small breed) because it still weighs 60 or 70 pounds. It is not completely understood why larger breeds don’t live as long as smaller ones.

I am so glad to hear Australian Cattle Dogs can live so long. I have a sweet little Blue Heeler puppy that I want to live a very long time.