Where does the bicarbonate for soda come from?

3

Answers

Bicarbonate is not in soda. You might be thinking of bicarbonate of soda, which is the same thing as baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate. Sodium bicarbonate is made in a factory by means of the Solvay Process.

The carbon dioxide used to make the sodium bicarbonate in the Solvay Process is often a biproduct of natural gas refining, as is the case in the Piceance Basin of Colorado.

Hi ecopolitologist, I just read the celsias article you linked to– very interesting. This idea of processing otherwise harmful energy biproducts, such as CO2, into usable products, such as sodium bicarbonate is fascinating to me. I wonder how we can encourage more secondary markets like these? Also, do you think processing CO2 into sodium bicarbonate is something that has the potential to become widespread, or do you think it might remain limited to certain markets, like the Piceance Basin?