Where can you recycle or donate used candles?

In celebration of Earth Hour, we’re lighting a few candles. What do we do them after that?

I’m not sure that they are accepted for recycling at traditional recycling centers that take plastic, paper, etc. However, one can recycle them on his or her own. Please see the article associated with the link provided. Also, if someone you know is into this craft, they may do so for you. Good luck!

I collect old wax from my friends and make new candles. At one point I had a candle making party and we all brought our own wax and left with new candles with the only expense being new wicks and energy. I already had the materials needed to melt and used molds like coke cans and used glassware.

I’ve seen them at thrift stores like the Goodwill, so you could donate them there. I know I’d buy a gently used candle. Since you are doing this for Earth Day, make sure you buy eco-friendly candles made from soy, beeswax, or vegetable oil. A petroleum based paraffin candle would just be silly in honor of Earth Day!

I can attest to having seen candles in my local thrift store, so I think you would be safe dropping them off at a thrift store or charity shop in your area. Alternatively, you could always stash them for black-outs. Maybe it’s just me, but I find that one can never have too many candles.