Where is the best place on earth to see stars?

The Atacoma Desert in Chile is considered the best destination for stargazing. Because of the areas brutally dry climate, there are almost no human beings who live in the area and no settlements close to its boundaries. This means the skies are unencumbered by light pollution which creates perfect conditions for stargazing.

Yes I agree, the desert is definitely the best place to gaze at the stars.  And with such silence you can almost hear their frequencies bouncing of the dunes 😉

If you can’t get to Chile, since plane tickets to Santiago are almost always outrageously expensive, consider the deserts outside Tonopah, Nevada.  A few years ago my VW bus broke down in this dinky town and I was stranded there for several days.  Once the bus was finally revived I drove out into the desert on Route 95 during the night and saw more stars than I’ve ever seen in my life.  There’s a reason Tonopah’s been consistently ranked as the #1 stargazing destination in the U.S. by USA Today. 

By the way, if you go, I don’t know if it’s still there, but when I was in Tonopah, there was a Mexican restaurant with the most amazing food I’d ever eaten in my life.