When was the last time we had this kind of record breaking cold weather?

Because I am not sure where you live exactly, I’m not sure what you mean by this kind of weather.  In the event that you live in the U.S., I have included a link to the record breaking coldest temperatures recorded in each state, and they seem to be dispersed all across the 19th and 20th centuries.

Hope this helps!

It definitely depends on the place but on a whole, it seems that the widespread cold and snow records are similar to winter in the 1970s.

The problem is many records are broken because of our lack of long-term data.  Satellite records begin in 1970, so the unprecedented snowfall across North America may just be unprecedented because records don’t go back any further.  Weather records have been kept since the 1800s.  Maine’s record of 50 below tied a record from 1933 in Bloomington, Vermont for coldest recorded temperature in New England.  Maine’s old record of 48 below is from January 1925.  Tampa saw similar lows in 1990 while Fort Meyers hit a record low from 1956.