When was the first green wedding?

5

Answers

Any simple wedding could be considered “greener” than the huge weddings we see so often in the media.  However, the first I’ve been able to find of a wedding deliberately calling itself “green” with the intent to reduce wastefulness, was in 2006.

Um, probably one done at city hall or something since that doesn’t take much energy besides getting there.

This is a difficult question to answer because it depends on what you would constitute as “green” and what you would constitute as “marriage”.

I’m sure there had to be undocumented cases of someone who was legally able to perform marriages to marry someone just on the spot, taking no energy at all.

Here is an interesting site that showcases the most elegant and green weddings in New England:

http://www.elegantlygreenweddingshowcase.com/

Sorry if your question wasa not fully answered..

Well, we’ve been creating green wedding invitations since 1995 — for 16 years now.  The first book published about Green Weddings was 1996.  Green Weddings that Don’t Cost the Earth by Carol Reed-Jones.  She is not sure if she coined the term, but it’s the first example I heard. (I’m an ex rare book person.)

We did our first green wedding in 1996. Handmade treefree papers (cotton and hemp, printed letterpress) Organic weddings were popular in the 1990’s.  I worked in catering in the late 1980’s — and wanted to start a catering company that only used natural foods and organic foods. Not too many people were interested in the LA area.  San Francisco was always big on local and organic.

I know this is going to sound like a smartass, but I would say the first green weddings were back back when the celebration of marriage was begining among the peasants. Back then, people did not have electricity or any of the stuff that makes our carbon footprint so huge. The celebration would be more or less local, there were not a lot of “presents” wrapped up in paper that is to be wasted, nothing out of the ordinary. People celebrated outside, had a fire and some alcohol (I’m certain), food, friends and family.

I very much enjoy this idea. To me, a wedding is a celebration of love, not money. There is no need for such a huge event, with expensive set ups, lights, entertainment, clothes, materialistic stuff. Just love, food and liquor.. right?