When eco friendly designers make things like solar powered jackets isn’t it kind of sending mixed messages?

I think that designers who are doing this sort of thing are not really interested in changing the way that the world or country buys clothes. These types of pieces are just for attention and probably required more energy, chemicals and waste than making conventional clothing does anyways. I think the best thing for the environment is to buy used clothes, wear them for a long time and give clothes to a consignment store or Goodwill when you are threw with them. It is not important to buy cheap clothes that are trendy and only last one season. This is very wasteful. When you need a specific item, buy it, but make sure it is good enough quality to be worn again and again and is a style you will not be sick of in two months.