When did we start to cut down too many trees?

I would think this started on the rise of steam power in the 1800s, considering that this was the only fuel… but I do fully believe it got a lot worse at the start of the Industrial Era when cities came to rise.

New Englanders started cutting down the largest and nicest trees for ship masts back in the 1700’s

3. emc

Consumption of natural resources, such as trees, spiked when the population drastically increased.  It has been within the past hundred years that the world’s population has really stressed resources.  Trees are being exported from countries with dense forests, severely altering habitats.  However, people need lumber for houses, so it is difficult to find a balance between human needs and nature.