when did roses become a symbol of love?

The ancient Greeks may have been the first to use the rose as a symbol of love. They considered it the special flower of the love goddess Aphrodite. The Romans adopted this custom when they appropriated Greek religion, renaming the goddess Venus. The symbolism continued into the Middle Ages, when it was Christianized, and on to the present day.

I can’t help but call to mind the Robert Burns poem that everyone is slightly familiar with: “O, my luve’s like a red, red rose…”.  When he wrote that poem (1794), it had yet to become a cliche comparison.  I wonder if our ritual of giving roses doesn’t stem from an innate feeling of the truth in that comparison: pretty things deserve pretty things, and love is sweet and sharp.