When did Colorado start being so eco friendly?

Colorado, like many late-aquisition western states, has been very eco-friendly, thanks largely to the conservational politics of president Teddy Roosevelt.  CO, NM, AZ, and many then-territories at the time were among the first places for land to be set aside as national protection areas, which generally set a president.   

Current Governor Bill Ritter has also done an excellent job of promoting CO as a top destination for healthy, active, and eco-concious people by making many parks, trails, climbing areas, etc.  

When I was there in the 90s it started to get very green, even before the huge environmental movement of the 2000s. I am very impressed with what the state is doing and it is one of the most beautiful states that I have been too.