What’s your favorite inspirational quote about nature, the environment, or living “green”?

Just curious. I love quotes.

I was going to find some Ed Abbey, but Terry Tempest Williams is just as good, though more lovely than gritty.

“Finding beauty in a broken world is creating beauty in the world we find.” 
    — Terry Tempest Williams

“I wonder how it is we have come to this place in our society where art and nature are spoke in terms of what is optional, the pastime and concern of the elite?” 
    — Terry Tempest Williams (Leap)

“I ain’t never seen ’em, but my common sense tells me the Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb! Keep good care of your hair! These here is God’s finest scupturings! And there ain’t no laws for the brave ones! And there ain’t no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain’t no churches, except for this right here! And there ain’t no priests excepting the birds. By God, I are a mountain man, and I’ll live ’til an arrow or a bullet finds me. And then I’ll leave my bones on this great map of the magnificent…” 

“After you have exhausted what there is in business, politics, conviviality, and so on- have found that none of these finally satisfy, or permanently wear- what remains? Nature remains.” –Walt Whitman

I really enjoy Aldo Leopold’s work, especially this quote from (I believe) the Sand County Almanac:
    “Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land. By land is meant all of the things on, over, or in the earth. Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left. That is to say, you cannot love game and hate predators; you cannot conserve the waters and waste the ranges; you cannot build the forest and mine the farm. The land is one organism. Its parts, like our own parts, compete with each other and co-operate with each other. The competitions are as much a part of the inner workings as the co-operations. You can regulate them—cautiously—but not abolish them.”

“Strange is our situation here upon earth.” – Albert Einstein. Simple, generally obvious and not imformative, but for some reason, I really like it.

“We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children” – Native American proverb.

I like quote too: ) I particularly like this one by Wordsworth:

“Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher.”

Adventure today means finding one’s way back to the silence and stillness of a thousand years ago. -Universal Thought
    (Can’t recall its creator)

To be a friend of the Everglades is not necessarily to spend time wandering around out there.
    -Marjory Stoneman Douglas
    (Which I can relate to anything nature)

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.
    -Albert Einstein
    (This can stand as my life’s thesis)

“There I feel nothing can befall me in life, – no disgrace, no calamity, – which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground – my head bathed by the blithe air and uplifted into infinite space – all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or parcel of God.”

-R.W. Emerson, Nature

I admit, this is how I would’ve answered my own question. Love this quote! It always pops into my head when I’m hiking/looking at a pretty view.

“If all environmentalists were laid end to end….they would enjoy the rest.”

Sorry but can’t recall author.  It was in a forward of a book.

Nature has no mercy at all. Nature says, “I’m going to snow. If you have on a bikini and no snowshoes, that’s tough. I am going to snow anyway.” – Maya Angelou

Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence.” – Hal Borland

At the moment a favorite quote of mine sits better if you’ve watched the 45 minute speech found in the link below by the incredibly charismatic and interesting scientist Robert Sapolsky.

“…one of the things that happens when you’ve wised up enough there’s a very clear conclusion that you have to reach after awhile which is: at the end of the day it’s really impossible for one person to make a difference, and thus the more clearly absolutely, utterly, irrevocably, unchangeably clear it is that it is impossible for you to make a difference and make the world better, the more you must.”

Someone told me this one some time ago and I found it to be quite funny:

“Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he’ll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.”  -Charles Haas

“Technological progress has merely provided us with a more efficient means for going backward” -Aldous Huxley

This one maybe more so for human nature, but it is good all the same…

“We are the miracle of force and matter making itself over into imagination and will. Incredible. The Life Force experimenting with forms. You for one. Me for another. The Universe has shouted itself alive. We are one of the shouts.” -Ray Bradbury

“Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.”
        “Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.”
              Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel Prize 1921

“We can never have enough of nature. We must be refreshed by the sight of inexhaustible vigor, vast and titanic features, the sea-coast with its wrecks, the wilderness with its living and its decaying trees, the thunder-cloud, and the rain.”- Henry Thoreau

Only when the last tree has died 
    and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught 
    will we realise we cannot eat money. 
    ~ Cree Indian Proverb ~

“We are all connected. 
    This was a massive thought. He felt himself grow, reaching out into the trees and over the water and up into the night sky. He saw then with astonishment what had always been there to see, what was so laughably obvious: the way all the elements of the world work together and could not exist without one another. The mountains need the plains, and the lakes need the hills. The river could not be a river without its riverbanks, and the high road would not be a road without the fields and the forests through which it cuts its way. The shore needs an ocean, and the ocean needs a horizon, and the horizon needs a sky. The revelations exploded like fireworks in his mind. Every smallest thing is part of a greater whole. The greater things depends upon one another. Nothing is alone, nothing is without its function, nothing is without meaning. And seeing this, and knowing this, makes the world beautiful beyond imagining.”~ Noman by William Nicholson

It might seem trivial yet accomplishing even just one of the preceding may help you much more than you can think of. You may possibly not constantly realize what is coming up next, every day is actually a completely new day, yet when you fully understand the best places to get excitement and also strength, you could definitely complete it.