whats the greenest way to brush my teeth?

Someone once told me that they simply use water to brush their teeth. I think they were onto something. Toothpaste is primarily composed of detergents (often petroleum-based) to make it foam, so we get the illusion of cleaning. I use a tooth powder that I made following these steps, except I used peppermint oil instead of clove oil. It works great, and you still get the “foaming clean” effect. Use less salt than they recommend though, dry salt can be extremely abrasive to the enamel.

As far as brushes go, you can buy toothbrushes made out of recycled materials, or you could go use a reusable rag wrapped around your finger and just wash it regularly. This site has a lot of great information about alternative dental care.