What is your favorite vegetarian dish?

Personally I am a huge advocate for hummus wraps–basically anything involving hummus.  I prefer a JalapeƱo Cheddar wrap, in which I put homemade hummus, green peppers, chopped garlic, cheese (unless you’re vegan), and spinach.  I never get tired of wraps since they are quite easy to make and there is a lot of flexibility to experiment with different ingredients.  Attached is a wrap recipe that might help get you started.

I am a sucker for Mexican cuisine, and most MExican food can be made equally as flavorful without meat.  My personal specialty is spicy 3-bean burritos.  Black beans, kidney beans, mexican rice, corn, cheddar, cilantro, cumin, lettuce, tomatoes, and anything else your heart desires.  The beans add all the protein you will need from a meal.

Chinese food actually has a ton of delicious vegetarian food. Vegetable buns known as baos are on example. The baos can be filled with many different types of vegetables depending on what you like. There are also different types of tofu dishes, some spicy, some savory, some sweet.

I am in love with the website 101cookbooks.com.  It is written by Heidi Swanson, a photographer and author from San Francisco.  Most of the recipes featured here are vegetarian and there is a search so you can choose only that or vegan or search by ingredient. 

Two of my favorites are Summer Squash Gratin (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/summer-squash-gratin-recipe.html)

and Carmelized Tofuhttp://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/caramelized-tofu-recipe.html

The tofu recipe I make all the time! There are so many choices for cooking and baking recipes. I can’t say enough about this site.  I’ve loved every recipe I’ve made from here. 

Oh, and the peanut butter cookie is the best recipe for them that I’ve ever used and I never even think of another one now.  It’s also vegan! http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/peanut-butter-cookies-recipe.html

My favorite vegetarian dish is actually something that I usually just throw together, and is extremely high in protein.  I start by heating up some soy chorizo in a skillet.  Then I scramble an egg with the chorizo, and sprinkle in some black beans.  While this is cooking I make Mexican rice.  When everything is done I dump it all in a bowl, and then top it with some shredded cheese and hot sauce.  It is super quick and easy to make, which is partially why I love it so much!

Portobello “Philly Cheesesteak” is my new favorite veg meal. I have eaten it four times in three weeks (with a side of baked french fries) and I am still not tired of it. It is cheesy, meaty, and makes me feel like I’m eating something unhealthy even though I’m not!

The recipe can be found at here. (The only change I made was substitute medium chedder for provolone.) Meaters and vegetarians alike will love it. Try it!

I love a stir fry-made with flavored tempeh (Tofurky brand), veggies, and brown rice. I also love David Gabbe’s corn chowder (and his cookbook). I’ve started cooking with seitan, and it’s pretty easy to work with. For holidays, I make baked mac and cheese and roasted vegetable lasagna that’s always a hit. 

Hot and Sour soup without the meat is delicious. It’s a soup you can get from most Chinese places, and I eat it religiously. It’s my favorite meal in general, vegetarian or not. I love how it’s kind of spicy and combines a lot of different textures. The bits of tofu in the soup are probably my favorite part of it, but I also like the tiger lilies. It’s so good; I always order it when I get Chinese.

I absolutely love this little meal, especially because it requires NO cooking – just throw it in the oven and it’s done: 1 Amy’s Vegetable Pot Pie, 2 Morning Star Breakfast Sausage Patties (this feeds one person).  Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Throw everything in for 40 minutes.  Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.  Use a generous amount of pepper on each breakfast sausage pattie and you’re ready to eat!  *My boyfriend loves this meal even though he is an avid meat-eater, but he likes to put Sriracha on it (like he does on everything!!!)  This is a good meal for vegetarians because it has 30 grams of protein, yay!

I’m not myself a vegetarian, but one of my absolute most favorite meals is vegetarian pad thai (noodles, tofu, peanuts, egg, vegetables, and sauce). Pad thai is the staple dish of a number of Thai restaurants, and it’s what I always order when I eat Thai. But if you’re a talented cook (which I, unfortunately, am not), here’s a recipe: http://thaifood.about.com/od/vegetarianthairecipes/r/padthaiveg.htm

rice and bean burrito

chili with cornbread

indian food (the best vegetarian cuisine)