What is your favorite picture of the environment?

This was the first picture of the earth taken from space.  It has become a significant part of how the human race views the environment.  This particular picture was also used in the film “An Inconvenient Truth” by Al Gore.

Tuscany Landscape

This is an image of the landscape in Tuscany, a region of Italy that is mostly composed of beautiful countryside and tiny, ancient villages. The people that live in the area seem to maintain a natural harmony with the environment, which has been sustained for hundreds of years.

I love this picture of an alpaca overlooking the ancient Incan city of Machu Picch, in Peru. The Inca bred the alpaca from native animals in the Andes mountains. The picture beautifully illustrates how the environment, people, and animals all depend on each other -and it’s a breathtaking view of the Andes, too.

Basheba Beach in Barbados…

Wow, what a great question! I loved the responses above, and had a really hard time picking one picture. I don’t think I could say that this is my all-time favorite, but it is beautiful and has personal meaning to me.

I snapped this photo of the Franz Josef Glacier on the west coast of New Zealand while traveling with my good friend Greg while studying abroad there. Franz Josef and its neighboring glacier, Fox Glacier, are unique because they occur in a rainforest—they are moving so quickly that the ice does not have time to melt until it reaches close to sea level.

I know the eruption caused a lot of frustration, but I think this photograph of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano with a thunderstorm is my current favourite. It reminds me of the truly awesome power of nature.

(credit Sigurdur Hrafn Stefnisson, National Geographic)

Any picture of the Northern Lights in Alaska would be my favorite. This is a phenomena that truly fascinates me… and one I hope I can see in person one day.

I am not sure if I would consider this my favorite picture of the environment–my taste changes so quickly it is hard to keep up. However, I do really like this particular photograph. Naturally sunsets are beautiful and being able to get all the lighting right can make for an amazing shot. 

Photo Credit: http://adsmac.com/blog/2010/10/prairie-sunset/

National Geographic photo of monarch butterflies in Mexico gathering to mate.