What is your favorite photograph of a natural winter scene?

I’m not sure if you can count all of them as winter scenes, but they’re certainly snowy: National Geographic’s classic photos of baby seals, especially the one at the first link below. They’re such beautiful animals, with expressive faces, and they blend in so perfectly with their surroundings.

Other than that, I like pictures of winter scenes right where I live, in temperate East Coast deciduous forests. The effect of tons of white snow on the otherwise bare dark trees is very dramatic. The second link provides an example.

Ansel Adams. 'Winter Sunrise, Sierra Nevada from Lone Pine, CA.,' 1944 There is some great Ansel Adams winter scene photos at this site:http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://artblart.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/1985-036-002-ansel-adams-winter-sunrise-sierra-nevada-ca.jpg&imgrefurl=http://artblart.wordpress.com/2009/09/&usg=__LCOYjpEaoqteo8Ec9Ve8dCbZNxY=&h=680&w=900&sz=193&hl=en&start=11&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AgmkmEzvfG6XEM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=146&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dansel%2Badams%2Bwinter%2Bscenes%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1. I think he takes great winter photos, especially in Yosemite.

I also love any of Thomas Kinkade’s winter scenes. He’s known as the painter of light, and so while his works aren’t photographs, his painted winter scenes are always so bright and really seem to capture the essence of winter.

This is my favorite winter scene.  I’m not sure who the photographer is, but I have seen it in multiple places.  I love it because it is so serene and calming.  It reminds me of the simple silence of the winter.

I like this Ansel Adams photo of winter.

I think this is such an amazing photo from National Geographic of candle spruces (what a great name!) in Oulanka, a national park in Finland. I love how you can see the northern lights in the background and the stars came out so clearly. It looks like the perfect winter wonderland—very quiet and still, cold and crisp. I can almost feel the chill in the air.

I have always been a fan of images of wolves in winter. It shows them in their most desperate time, when food is scarce and hunger is great. But it also shows how resilient they are in tough times. It reminds me of the novel White Fang, about how a half-breed wolf learns to associate with people and finds surviving much easier that way.

I like this photograph a lot:

It’s from an absolutely ancient article on the California Department of Fish and Game website. The photograph feels to me like  the visual manifestation of “calm”. The article accompanying it  discusses the ability to appreciate the beauty of winter anywhere, whether it be in your background or (one of my personal favourites) Lake Tahoe.

I LOVE this picture of the northern lights. The colors are sooo beautiful and although the landscape is somewhat barren the mood of the photo feels peaceful and happy. 

Growing up in southern California, I was never really able to experience a classic “white winter.” Every now and then we would get some pretty rainy days. Here is a picture my friend took on one of the more rainy days–I like it, it reminds me of home. 

I love this photo of a man climbing an iceberg in Alaska. I think the colors are amazing. I also love how as a viewer, I can only see the man’s silhouette. 

My favorite season is winter. This picture really illustrates why winter is so beautiful.