What is your favorite meatless recipe?

Answers

I personally am a big Indian food fan. Sliced zucchini, squash, carrots, mushrooms, eggplants, broccoli, and basically anything that’s green and healthy for you (but may not be your favorite eaten raw.) Stir fry them in olive oil, some seasoning, and later, some good curry sauce- Trader Joe’s has some excellent ones. Then boil some rice- Trader Joe’s also has some really good wild rice. Sometimes I throwa little tofu and some nuts in for protein. A plate of that, along with a fresh salad from farmer’s market produce (or better yet, the garden…) is enough to make me sing Hare Krishna!

I don’t normally jive with a lot of Oprah’s recipes, but the cited recipe for celery root soup is INSANELY delicious. It’s so creamy you would never guess that there’s no butter or cream in it. It’s very filling, and has a great, earthy flavor that fills quickly. Also, it’s not too big a pain to make, especially since it makes enough to last a while (freeze it and reheat it at your own desire)! I really recommend it.

I love to use soy chorizo as a substitute in Mexican dishes.  It can be found at Trader Joe’s, and is relatively inexpensive.  All I do is heat it up in a skillet, crack an egg on top and scramble it, and then put it in corn tortillas.  I top them with a little shredded cheese, pepper, and hot sauce.  I also sometimes mix the chorizo and eggs in with black beans and hot sauce.  The link below has another recipe for using the soy chorizo.

I know I’m a little late to this question, but I had to post and answer.  About a week ago I began making Bean and Cheese Burritos, and they are TO DIE FOR. 

Here’s the recipe:

• 6 flour tortillas
    • 1 can vegetarian re-fried beans
    • green onions, 1 bunch
    • monetary jack cheese
    • 1 1/2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
    • 2 tomatoes, chopped
    • 3 T sour cream
    • 2 T salsa
    • (optional) guacamole

Spread re-fried beans evenly on 6 tortillas, sprinkling cheese and green onions on each.  Fold them burrito style and place in a baking pan.  Sprinkle left over green onions and cheese  on top.  Pop into the oven for about 15 minutes.  Mix sour cream and salsa together.  Take burritos out of the oven, pour some sour cream mixture on top, sprinkle lettuce and tomato to desired amount.  Add a spoonful of guacamole.  Yum!  This is the most filling vegetarian meal you could ever eat.

feeds 4-6 people

I’m simple and nice plate of black rice and beans with some sauteed garlic and onions.

Mmmm, this recipe, Pasta e Fagioli Soup, is one of my favorites. The recipe calls for Italian Sausage, which I replace with Morning Star brand fake meat crumbles (mostly for texture—this soup has so many other ingredients you could easily leave it out entirely) and chicken broth, which can be replaced with vegetable broth. I really like this recipe because of the unique taste with the cinnamon sticks and the rosemary—it’s really hearty and delicious, and perfect with a nice slice of bread on a cold winter day. Enjoy!

This recipe is both meat-free and vegan! It’s so good; I got it from this student co-op in Texas, and I often make it for big groups of people:

Mac ‘N’ Sauce

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

6:14 PM

Ingredients

• 1 lb. macaroni
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 1 shallot
    • 1 c. nutritional yeast
    • 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
    • 1/2 c. soy sauce
    • 1/2 small container Earth Balance
    • 1 tbsp. onion powder
    • 1 lb. tofu
    • 3/4 c. soy milk
    • 1/4 c. mustard
    • Turmeric

Directions

Boil pasta in large pot. In skillet, heat bit of Earth Balance and sauté garlic and shallot. In blender, combine garlic mix with other ingredients. Blend until smooth. Strain pasta and return to pot. Pour contents of blender over pasta. Mix and serve.

I love to eat, so I have a lot of favorite meatless recipes. But two of my most recent favorites are:

Philly “Cheese Steak” (with portobello mushrooms) with baked french fries.

Sweet potatoes with warm black bean salad (I exchanged the tomatoes for mushrooms)

I like making foods from scratch – one of my favourite meatless recipes is this one, from the BBC’s Neil Perry, for homemade gnocchi and tomato sauce.

Ingredients

• 750g/1lb10oz bintje potatoes, you can also use Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes [I usually just use whatever potatoes I have at hand]

• 2 egg yolks

• ½ cup plain flour (plus extra if needed)

• sea salt, to season

• freshly grated parmesan cheese [I use the bottled kind]

For the tomato sauce
    • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

• 2 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly

• 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped

• 2 tbsp basil, sliced thinly

Preparation method

1. Cook the whole, unpeeled potatoes in boiling salted water for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain.

2. When cool enough to handle but still warm, peel the potatoes and pass them through a mouli or ricer. It is important the potatoes are still warm at this stage.

3. Place the potato on a clean work surface, add the egg yolks and about ½ cup of plain flour. Fold the mixture together working towards the centre, gradually adding more flour if the mixture is too wet. Be careful not to add too much flour as the more flour added the firmer the gnocchi will be. Once the gnocchi mixture has come together rest for 5 minutes.

4. Cut the gnocchi mixture in quarters and on a lightly floured surface roll each piece into a sausage shape about 2cm/¾in in diameter, then cut into 3cm/1¼in pieces.

5. Place the gnocchi on a wooden board or floured tray. At this stage the gnocchi can be covered with a damp tea towel and left for 1-2 hours.

6. For the tomato sauce, heat the extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and sea salt to taste and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes until pale golden.

7. Add the tomatoes and cook gently for 4-5 minutes. Add the basil and stir well.

8. Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi in gently boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until they float.

9. Drain the gnocchi and place in pasta bowls, spoon the sauce over and scatter with freshly grated parmesan.

The end result is delicious!

Channa masala is a delicious meatless recipe. I have attached the recipe and link below.

Channa Masala

Serves 4

2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 inch knob ginger, peeled and chopped
    1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
    3 tbsp tomato paste
    1/2 lemon
    1 tbsp coriander
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp tumeric
    2 tbsp butter
    In a large cast iron skillet, heat the butter. Once melted, add the onions and cook for about 15 minutes on medium low heat, or until golden brown.
    Once the onions have caramelized, add the garlic, ginger and jalapeno and stir well. Cook for about two minutes or until it starts to smell like heaven on earth.
    Add the tomato paste and pince, using above photos as an example. This is very important and if you don’t do it right your dish is pretty much doomed. No pressure.
    Add the coriander, cumin, cayenne and tumeric and stir well. Then add the diced tomatoes, chickpeas and garam masala.
    Cook for about five minutes or until the chickpeas have heated through. Finish with a squeeze of lemon and top with plain yogurt and cilantro if desired!

I like making this asian-influenced salad and its really yummy. 

First start with a bunch of greens. Boil water for buckwheat soba noodles. Drain and rinse with cold water. Course chop some herbs (I like using mint, basil, green onions and cilantro.) Add those. Finely chop some fuji apples. Top with slivered almonds, sesame seeds, and some seaweed salad – (optional) 

I usually make my own salad dressing with olive oil, sesame oil, lemon, grapefruit and lime juice, wasabi paste, miso, soy sauce, and chili. Enjoy!!

Today, I just enjoyed the most delicious sandwich ever! 

- Sub roll or baguette

- 8 oz black beans

- veggie sausage (any casings removed, recommend mildly spicey ones if available)

- avocado

- goat cheese

- olive oil

- salt

Take your sub roll and pull out the doughy center to allow room for stuffing it.  Preheat your oven to 350.  Brown the sausage in a pan on the stove, and add the drained black beans.  Let simmer for a few minutes until warmed through, and add salt for flavor.  You can add olive oil here to ensure the mixture is moist.  Take a spoon and gently mash the beans to make a thick paste with the sausage.  At this point you can brush a bit of olive oil on your sub roll (should be cut halfway around, so it opens up but does not separate).  Throw it in the oven for a few minutes to warm it and give a crispy exterior. 

Take your roll and stuff it with the bean/sausage filling.  Slice avocado and add on top of stuffing as desired (I love avocado and used about 1/3 – 1/2 per 6″ sandwich).  Then smear goat cheese onto the ajacent open face of the bread (generously).  Finish with a drizzle of Frank’s Red Hot, smush closed, and ENJOY!!

One of my most recent favorite meals is rigatoni with grilled zucchini and eggplant. It is a very simple meal to make, and sprinkling some parmesan cheese on top right before eating it gives it an extra flavor. The heartiness of the zucchini and eggplant leaves you full without eating meat. 

One of my favorite meatless dishes are vegetarian meatballs. It is quick, easy, and delicious– good on sandwiches or in a pasta dish. Check out the recipe. 

I would definetly check out this vegan and gluten-free lasagna. It has so many vegetables in it. When prepared correctly, it is kind of amazing that slices of squash is a realistic substitute for lasagna noodles. Seriously, delicious.

Ingredients

2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
    6 cups water
    1 cup red lentils
    1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes 1/2 cup diced carrots

1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
     1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions

In large pot saute; the onions, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.

Add the water, lentils, chick peas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper and cumin. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.

Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot. Serve warm

I love this cucumber pomegranate salad recipe. It’s refreshing and festive any time of year.

Ingredients

2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, and seeds removed
    Seeds of 1 pomegranate
    1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, green parts only
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    Juice of 1 lime
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

Cut the cucumbers into slices 1/4 inch thick. Put the cucumber slices in a bowl with all but 4 tablespoons of the pomegranate seeds. Add the scallions, cilantro, lime juice, and olive oil. Toss and season with salt.

To serve, divide the salad among bowls and top with the crumbled feta, a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds, and a few grinds of pepper.

Right now my favorite meatless meal is the mushroom and poblano pepper taco from a restaurant called Rubio’s.  They are seriously to die for!

I love all things pasta! I love the mac n’cheese recipe, especially with the shells. I included the recipe in first link below. I love that it is simple to make and tastes great! It’s good on the wallet too and that’s coming from a college student.

Also, I’m not sure what’s this is called but it’s pretty simple. I like eating penne pasta with simple marinara sauce! The taste depends really on the sauce, so make your own or buy it. Though making your own is much more appetizing.

This is my to-go recipes for weekday lunches during cold weather: 

Chili

Ingredients

- red kidney beans (cooked)

- bell peppers (diced)

- onions (diced)

- purple cabbage (sliced)

- salt

- chili powder

- cumin

- paprika

- tomato juice

- water

- oil

Directions

- heat oil in a pot and cook onions until slightly translucent

- add bell peppers and cabbage and cook for about 1-3 minutes (it doesn’t matter how long you cook them, it will get cook when the chili is simmering)

- add beans and tomato juice

- boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes. 

- add seasoning and adjust accordingly to your taste

- serve with corn bread, bread, bread, tortilla, whatever! 

mmmmm…