What is your favorite green activity?

My favorite “green activity” is e-recycling, getting rid of unused electronic goods. In the past old toys or obsolete technology would have been tossed aside once they didn’t work anymore. I like that now we can reuse most of their components.

My favorite green activity has to correspond with transportation. I love when I can bike or walk to a place and not have to get in my car. I like it because it is a good way to get some exercise while saving money by not paying for gas. It is really helpful to the environment and for your body!

Definitely vegetable gardening, cause it is such a purely green act, tastes delicious, and makes me healthy. I am currently transitioning from my winter to my summer garden, which will be bountiful. Even in the dead of winter (here in Cali) I was able to produce tons of lettuce, peas, broccoli, spinach, and other greens, in addition to the oranges and grapefruit from our backyard trees. My boyfriend and I have been pretty much living off of these vegetables, cooking them with rice and such, and feel extremely healthy and economical. We have reduced our visits to the grocery store and turned our land into a source of sustenance! Localized food sources reduce CO2 emissions in numerous ways. Our summer garden will produce tons of tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, squash, and much more. 

My favorite green activity is growing our own heirloom, organic vegetables, herbs and fruits.  Heirloom seeds are seeds that are over 60 years old and have not been engineered or tampered with in anyway.  Organic, meaning that we only use non chemical fretilyzer and feeding.  I live in AZ so I can continue to grow year round.  When it’s very cold at night we start our seeds indoors and then once the temperature is over 50 at night we plant outside.  When it begins to get very hot here, we roll our raised bed gardens into shady parts of the yard and also use very large umbrellas to help provide shade during the heat of the day.  Growing our own food helps us to reduce the cost in terms of oil useage for others to grow our food and transport to us here in the desert.  We grow lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, onions, corn, garlic, cilantro, rosemary, strawberries, apples and even blueberries and much more!

I’ll have to agree with jacoba and say that walking is always a good activity to do. Walking’s especially fun when you’re going on a hike somewhere. It’s really great to see the scenery and take your mind off of your worries.

As a few other people have said, I really enjoy gardening. There is something that is so satisfying and neat about selecting seeds, working the dirt, carefully planting them, caring for the seedlings, weeding, watering, helping them to grow and finally reaping the benefit of all your work with delicious produce. I am facing a particular challenge this spring as I live in a studio apartment with no kind of yard. I am planning on getting creative and starting a few pots of herbs in the window and seeing if I can get some seedlings started in pots before I move out in April and can get them into a proper growing space. I also really like growing flowers—it’s such an easy way to add a little extra color to your environment, and is something I’ll be able to easily do in my apartment by choosing varieties that do well in small pots with medium light.

My favorite green activity is walking outside. It is good for the environment because I don’t have to take a car or public transportation to where I am going. It’s also great exercise for me, and lets me be outside in the fresh air. I like walking everyday and it’s such a simple green activity to do. 

I have two! My favorite green activities are going to the farmer’s market and walking in general. Buying local food is generally good for the environment and the farmer’s market can be so much fun with all the different kinds of food there. Walking is great because I don’t have to rely on a car. When I can walk somewhere, I do.