What is your favorite environmentally themed book?

Nonfiction books about the importance of protecting the environment or about how or why we should protect the environment are welcome, but so are fiction books if they deal with environmental themes – I am not opposed to things like ‘Zodiac’ by Neal Stephenson.

My favorite recent environmental read is Jane and Michael Hoffman’s http://us.macmillan.com/green.  The Hoffmans’ expertly and easily address a variety of current issues in a format that is conversational, easy to understand, and solution-based.  If you’re looking for a read that is a good primer on our energy crisis and energy solutions that should be implemented over the next several decades, I highly recommend this book. 

Thomas L. Friedman’s now-classic Hot, Flat, and Crowded is also a very well written book, but I found myself more angry than anything, and I’d much rather read something, become angry by the policies that have created the issues, and then uplifted, or at the very least, empowered by solutions offered by the author.  I felt as though Friedman reserved only a very small portion of his book for real solutions.  Regardless, it was still an enlightening read and if you haven’t gotten the time to read Friedman, now is just as good as any. 

I’ve read a lot of nonfiction books on the environment, and found a lot of them to be inspiring. The first ones that come to mind are Van Jones’ A Green Collar Economy as well as the works of Michael Pollan and Bill McKibben (Eaarth is next on my reading list). 

Another nonfiction book that isn’t environmental really, but carries a great message about the joys and importance of conserving the natural world, is Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods. He is an honest and hilarious writer, and the book is a quick and fun read with a number of important messages underlining the hilarity. 

I fancy the approach to nature/the environment in Hemingway’s Old Man and the Sea, where man is in a precise balance with nature, and in which men compete with other animals for their sustenance. It’s a bit idyllic, but I love the spirit of it. For non-fiction, I like reading books that have to do with how Europeans drove out Native Americans, and the clash of ideologies, especially concerning nature, inherent in their conflict.

I think the most impressive environmental book that I have read is Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things by William McDonough and Michael Braungart. The book talks about sustainable design and how we need a paradigm shift from the “cradle to grave” mentality to a “cradle to cradle” mentality. The book is made out of plastic instead of paper. It is either recycled content or recyclable, I can’t remember which. It’s a great book though.