What is your favorite environmental authors?

My current favorite is Jonathan Safran Foer (Author of the nonfiction novels “Everything is Illuminated” and “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close”. He has recently released his first (and maybe only) nonfiction book entitled “Eating Animals.” An amazing story about the philosophy and environmental ramifications of a meat centered culture. He does not preach, he only tells his tale.

The best all around author I have read is Paul Shepard. He is a very important environmentalist who has done many great things for natural parks and the environmental movement. He has written several books, which are both extremely well written and verbose. My favorite of his works is “Man in the Lanscape: A Historic View of the Esthetic’s of Nature.”

I also like the book “The World Without Us” by Alan Weisman. It is a hypothetical inference into how the world would react to the sudden and immediate evacuation of all human life. What would happen to the pollution already here, what parts of nature would return, and what would not.

I really like all of Michael Pollan’s books.  My favorite is Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual.  It is a really easy read, but has so many good types on how to live a healthier, more environmentally friendly lifestyle. 

One of my favorite environmental authors is Bill McKibben. He is something of an environmental philosopher; however, he does use a lot of research to back his claims. One of my favorite books by him is The End of Nature. McKibben discussed how that through any human interference, true natural areas do not exist anymore. Also, he really practices what he preaches. He set up an organization to lower greenhouse gases to less than 350ppm.   

My favorite environmental authors are Edward Abbey, author of many novels, including The Monkey Wrench Gang and Desert Solitaire.  Abbey is basically the father of both the environmentalist movement and the popularization of environmental literature.

I also enjoy basically anything written by Aldo Leopold, who is probably most famous for The Sand County Almanac.