What is your favorite book of all time and why?

My favorite book is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.  The story is about a guy named Johnny (probably) who is putting together the manuscript of a book that was never completed by a dead man named Zampano.  That book is about a documentary made by Will Navidson about his house, which is bigger on the inside than on the outside. It’s probably also the scariest book I’ve ever read.

I really love the frame narrative in this book, and the way it breaks the fourth wall so often.  Danielewski also writes some really great passages.

At 19 years old, I’m not embarrassed to say that the Harry Potter books are my favorite books of all time. To me, nothing better symbolizes my childhood — I started reading the books with my mom when I was little, and I can think of nothing that better brought out my imagination, creativity — all the things important to children. Sure, I’ve read lots of literature/classic novels for classes, and a few on my own, that I’ve enjoyed and really gotten into, but to me, HP is about more than enjoying a story, and it’s something that I’ll always be nostalgic about.  

My favorite book is called The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia. It was written with words that seem to fit more than they should. The book has a certain substance which is very tangible yet elusive, like a gust of wind. Describing his work is similar to expounding on a certain quality of light, you really just have to read/see it.

David Foster Wallace’s Infinite Jest is my favorite because of the way the syntax resonates with my own voice, the power of the story, its pertinence, the addictiveness of the world, tis power to affect, and its profundity. Finnegan’s Wake and Anna Karennina are the two books I respect most; Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow is the one that affects me the most personally.

I have read many excellent books and don’t know that I have one exact favorite.  One book that stands out for me, however, is called Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir.  It is a memoir of Malika Oufkir’s life, who was born into privilege as the daughter of the King of Morroco’s closest aide.  That life of privelege comes to an end when her and her family are forced into isolated imprisonment for twenty years after her father is executed for attempting to assasinate the king.  This was a story that showed remarkable will to live.

I really enjoyed the Unicorn Chronicles by Bruce Coville. I read the first book of the series when I was about 7 years old in second grade. He FINALLY just finished the fourth book last year, making me wait 17 years to read the end of the story (there were originally only supposed to be 3 in the series). Still, I enjoyed waiting for each book to come out and re-reading the first (Into the Land of the Unicorns). I think the characters and scenary are really compelling. He has great sensory information and the plot moves quickly. I highly recommend the books to younger readers.

I also really loved Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder. This book teaches the main ideas of all different philosphers throughout time in language non-philosphers can understand. It essentially combines a philsophy course with a fantasy novel, and I loved it. I also highly recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, though I haven’t read the second book in the series and the third is still to come out. Wonderful epic magic/fantasy/action/romance novel combined with a lot of realism.