What is your favorite animal that lives in the rainforest?

My favorite animal that lives in the rainforest would be the Scarlet Macaw, mostly because they’re so beautiful and so colorful! These birds can be found from southern Mexico to the Amazon Basin of Brazil, and a large population of them reside in the Costa Rican rainforest. 

Snakes are my favorite animals that live in the rainforest. They are often feared and disliked, but they play a very important role in the ecosystem. Snakes feed on all sorts of different types of prey. Various species feed on centipedes, snails, lizards, frogs, frog eggs, birds, and mammals. They are also important prey for birds, opossums, and even other snakes.

Snakes in the rainforest are very diverse, ranging from very small species that live in the leaf litter to species that can be 12 feed in length! Some are venomous but many are harmless and will not bother a human.

I love the Resplendent Quetzal, a brilliantly colored bird living in the cloud forests of Central America.  ‘Resplendent’ is a word meaning ‘glowing splendor.’  These beautiful green and red birds with dramatically long tail feathers certainly fit that description!  Also, what other animal name rhymes with the word ‘pretzal’?

My favorite animal is the Amazon River Dolphin, also known as the boto.  They are amazing creatures. 

My favorite rainforest animal is the red-eyed tree frog.  What’s really interesting is the scientists hypothesize that their bright red eyes are used to scare off potential predators.  They reside in Central America and northern South America.  Unlike poison arrow frogs that share their similar bright coloration, red-eyed tree frogs are not venomous.  They aren’t endangered, but their habitat is depleting rapidly due to deforestation and expanding human development.  

Photo: Close-up of a red-eyed tree frog

My favorite rainforest animal is the poison dart frog.

I think the capybara, which is one the world’s largest rodents, is one of the most fascinating rainforest creatures.

I hope this helped!

My favorite is definitely the slow loris.  They’re awesome looking and move so slow unless frightened.

My second favorite is probably the manatee (yes there are manatees in the amazon).  They look like such peaceful creatures.

My favorite is the Harpy Eagle, found in Central and South America. It is the only member of its genus, the most powerful raptor in the Americas, and one of the, if not the, largest species of eagle in the world. Two facts I find interesting are that the females are much larger than the males and that their hind talons can be the size of grizzly bear claws.

Lemurs are so adorable! They can be found in the rain forests of Madagascar. Too bad I won’t be able to see one in the states 🙁

I think that jaguars are really cool animals.  They are considered the king of the Amazonian food chain.  Even though they are strong hunters, unfortunately the jaguar population is depleting. 

Asia’s only ape, the orangutan…

Although they do frighten me, the Gaboon Viper is my favorite animal that lives in the rainforest. Located in most areas of East and West Central Africa, the Gaboon Viper is interesting because it hunts in the evening and at night, and relies on camouflage to catch its prey.

The Toucan! I was beyond excited when I saw one in person in Brazil. I think they are so interesting looking and love all of their colors. They were smaller than I thought (usually around 20 inches) and talk to each other using toad like noises. 

My favorite animal that lives in a rainforest is the orangutan. I think they are great looking animals. They are only found in the rainforest of Borneo and Sumatra. 

My favorite rainforest animal is the glass frog. I love how transparent their skin is!

Rhetus periander, common name is the Blue Doctor. They live in the Amazon

I think the Aye-Aye is the coolest rain forest animal. It is a primate that lives in Madagascar. It may be the only primate to use echolocation to find prey. It uses its long middle finger to tap on wood while it listens with its ear. The Aye-Aye uses its incredible hearing to find larvae and other prey inside of wood. It then uses its beaver like teeth to chomp through the wood and its long middle finger to spear and pull out prey to eat. It is a very bizarre and incredible animal. 

I really love the tiny new frog they just dicovered in Papau New Guinea. It’s so cute and it’s smaller than a dime! How precious, right?

The Tapir is a way cool rainforest animal. It is the world’s most primative large mammal. 

The tarsier is my favorite animal in the rainforest. It is just so cute, unique, and strange. It reminds me of aliens, but also of minature versions of ewoks from Star Wars. Check out this video of a tarsier munching on a cricket!

I like bush babies because they are just so cute!

This is a baby bush baby.