What would I need to do if I wanted to try and own an ostrich?

You may need to obtain an exotic pet license based on where you live and prove that you have the resources to take care of the pet. Ostriches are capable of killing a human by kicking with their powerful legs. They can also run around 45 miles an hour and have a lifespan of 30-40 years. Seeing as how their home is the African Savanah, I think it would take a remarkable amount of acreage to make a happy Ostrich. Wild animals should stay in the wild where they are happiest. Many people try to adopt exotic pets only to find that they are too difficult to take care of. If you are really serious about it and have the resources, you may also want to find a sanctuary that may take the pet if it becomes unmanageable for you. 

I think the most important thing to do would be to contact other ostrich farmers.  They are very smart birds who are also very powerful.  You’re going to need a lot of land – ostriches can run very quickly and they also prefer to live in packs.  Plus, you’re going to need to realize that they livde a very long time, up to fifty years…so what will happen if you are unable to care for them anymore?  

I think they are fascinating birds, so I wish you the very best luck!