What is the worst thing about coal?

I think that the worst thing about using coal as an energy source is that it isn’t renewable (the coal we use today is millions of years old), and that it releases so many greenhouse gases when burned.

Yes, I agree with the second half of that answer moreso than the first. True, it is non renewable (at least in the present time-scale, it could potentially be renewed over geologic time)…. the worst thing about coal is the amount of pollution that is put into the atmosphere when it is burned: Solid Matter Particulates (Smoke and Ash), CO2 and NOx, as well as Mercury. This stuff in the air causes cancer and other health problems, not to mention the fact that it is causing global warming due to the greenhouse effect.