What is the worst part about Gatorade?

I am not a fan of Gatorade, or any other “sports drink” due to the high fructose corn syrup content.   Nutritionally, these are empty calories.   You can get electrolytes from coconut water without sugar.  There is absolutely no need to consume these liquids.  Recently Gatorade has switched to sucrose for its sweetener, however, this was a little too late in my opinion.  It is much better to get carbohydrates from whole fruit and whole food than from sports drinks.

Gatorade is popular for restoring electrolytes after rigorous physical activity. But many people may not know that Gatorade can decay teeth quicker than Coca-Cola, according to a new study by the University of Iowa- School of Dentistry. Also, the amount of plastic waste generated from Gatorade’s manufacturing supply has a large environmental footprint. I’m not sure which is worse, that is for you to decide.

Besides the taste of some of its “flavors?” Several health risks associated with Gatorade include high sodium, which can lead to high blood-pressure, weight gain, due to sugar content and has previously mentioned, tooth decay, once again due to sugar content. Also the artificial coloring does nothing for the dental cosmetics. Like anything Gatorade should be consumed in moderation.

I had a run-in with Gatorade a few years ago. I was driving all day in very hot temperatures and drinking nothing but Gatorade (roughly 4 gallons in a few hours). Later that day, I was in the hospital with doctors asking me if I was taking drugs. Apparently, the potassium in the Gatorade was too much for my heart, and without drinking water with it, caused heart problems. So, if you’re going to drink large amounts of Gatorade, make sure to drink water with it.