Drinking unfiltered or untreated water can be dangerous. These day, it is very easy to turn on your tap and have safe drinking water available. However, if you were to travel to an area where the drinking water is unsafe, and you do nothing to treat the water before ingesting it, you put yourself at risk of acquiring the following:
Bacteria such as:
-Escherichia (E. Coli)
Protozoa such as:
Helminth Zoonoses such as:
There are several illnesses that can cause you to become very sick from drinking untreated water. These include cholera, hepatitis A and E, e. coli, typhoid fever, etc.
Cholera is a serious disease that has very short incubation period, meaning that it can kill within hours on contraction. Cholera is contracted after ingesting food or water that is contaminated with the bacteria, and leads to death because it causes severe diarrhea which leads to dehydration.
Bacterial infections are not life-threatening except for E. coli. It has its origin in untreated water and is usually caused by animal or human feces.There are many strains of E. coli but most of them are harmless. Some can cause diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory and other diseases. The E. coli reports that most people hear about is E. coli 0157, a kind of E. coli that causes infections by producing the Shiga toxin.
Click here to cancel reply.
Signup for an account and start participating in our site today!
You can also login with your Facebook or Twitter account
Don't have an account? Click Here to Signup
© Copyright GreenAnswers.com LLC