What whales have the furthest yearly migrations?

7

Answers

Gray whales migrate the furthest, of not only whales, but of any mammal on earth.  Their migration route from Mexico to their feeding grounds in the arctic is over 5,000 miles long. Their migration route can be seen in the following image:

Hi cafils44, thank you for your answer. But I’m confused. The answer from jeffb says that humpback whales migrate the furthest but you say it is gray whales. Are you sure you’re right?

Good question, Jaxson.  Humpback whales take place in the furthest yearly migration, the longest of any mammal.  Every winter, they make their way from the Antarctic to the northern tropics.  They seek the warm waters to raise their young.  One particular mother and her calf were monitored, and they made the 5,160 mile journey in 161 days.

photo: NOAA

Hope this helps!

Hi jeffb, thank you for your answer. But as I stated in my comment to cafils44, I’m confused. You say that humpback whales migrate the furthest but he says it is gray whales. Any idea how to clear this up?

Sorry for the confusion Jaxson. The same article that I used to find out this information on the humpback whale actually addresses the fact that grey whales also have long migrations. It says that while some researchers claim the grey whale holds the record for the longest migration of any mammal, “no individual grey whale has been documented traveling the full extent of their migratory range, and it’s possible that no grey whales actually make the entire migration,” says Rasmussen. Only humpbacks have been documented making the full trip.”
      So, it seems like humpbacks and greys have similar migration distances, but we have only fully documented a humpback traveling such distance.
      Hope this helps!

Great, thanks for your quick response jeff!

sure thing, jaxson