What type of apples are best for making applesauce?

Several different kinds of apples can be used to make homemade applesauce. So, basically this is a matter of preference. Many articles and message boards that I have read suggest using a combination of different apples like Golden Delicious, Granny Smith, Red Delicious and Pink Lady apples.

Some apples to avoid are Red Delicious, Gala, McIntosh and Macoun because they can be too soft or watery to make applesauce.

Actually, mixing different types of sweet apples can yield a better sauce.  Softer, sweeter, very-ripe apples, are generally better choices (if you use Granny Smiths for instance, which I personally prefer just to eat, you’ll end up having to add loads more sugar). Some such apples types include:

Red Delicious
    Rhode Island Greening
    Yellow Delicious

For more information, including a step-by-step walk through of applesauce making, see the link below:

I think this question is subject to taste. I really like applesauce that has a bite to it, so I make mine with Granny Smith’s. You can probably make applesauce out of any kind of apples, as long as you like the taste. If you wanted a milder applesauce, you could make it out of Red Delicious apples or Fuji apples. The entire choice is up to the person making the applesauce and their taste buds.