What is Triclosan?

I’ve heard news reports about triclosan. I saw it is used in my toothpaste, but it is labeled by the FDA as a pesticide. Is it safe to use?

It is an agent that aids in keeping the item bacteria free. It’s not known to be hazardous to humans, but some claim that they’ve had problems, and it will, most likely, go under re-review by the FDA just in case. 

Triclosan is added to many consumer products with the intent of reducing or preventing bacterial contamination. It can be found in a number of things, including clothes, toys, kitchenware, cosmetics, soaps, and toothpastes. It is added to products which are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.

At this point, Triclosan is not known to be harmful to humans, and the FDA feels there is no need to change your habits and product use. There have been some recent animal tests however, which showed that it affected hormone regulation. Some studies also found that it may increase bacterial resistance to antibiotics. The FDA is investigating Triclosan further and the possible health risks, but they have not recommended any changes yet.