What takes the longest to break down in landfills?

Anything made of plastic, and more specifically styrofoam (also known as polystyrene). Polystyrene doesn’t biodegrade when it is not recycled, and it usually isn’t recycled because there are so few facilities that will accept it. CFCs are a type of plastic used in food containers that are also non-biodegradable.

It appears that glass bottles takes the longest to break down – in fact we haven’t been monitoring their decomposition long enough to even have a clue as to how long it would take. Glass bottles are mostly made of silica (sand-like material) which will rarely break down even under really intense conditions.

Please follow the link below for details on the breakdown times of other items.

I’ve always heard that it’s the disposable diaprs that are choking landfills and that they take longer than anything else to decompose, but I’ve nothing to substantiate that. We need to return to using cloth diapers like I did with my 4 kids in the fifties…either that or let them run around bare-bottomed like they do in many countries which are called ‘Third World countries.’  Those kids get no diaper rash or other irritatations and there is a huge savings on soap, bleaches, water, etc. and nothing to add to the landfills. Depending on where these little people are allowed to run free, your lawn might even put the neighbors’ lawn to shame! And your hands and nails would also benefit!