What is the smartest breed of dog?

Most lists top it off with the Border Collie as the smartest dog breed. They are energetic, which makes them easy to train and are good at understanding verbal and physical directions, which makes them ideal for sporting dog competitions like agility.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the dog.  Border colies are extremely intelligent but I wouldn’t get one to primarily be a house pet.  Nor would they make good sled dogs.  There are a lot of lists rating breed intelligence, but I’ve found that the most useful lists are the ones that take into account what the breed is bred to do — a lot of behaviors seem to be hardwired into the dog and training is easier if you are using those behaviors in appropriate ways.