What is the smallest street legal electric car?

Based on battery size and seating, the Smart ED is the smallest electric car as a 2 seater with a 16 kwh battery. The next smallest is the Mitsubishi I at 16 kwh with coupe-style body capable of seating 4 people. The Smart ED is available now while the I will be available in 2010. Other honorable mentions are the Smart City and Mini E electric cars.

The smallest electric car that was commercially available in the past is the Corbin Sparrow. However, people can always build smaller cars through the process of conversion. The Sparrow is a popular car in California, and I have seen two of them in real life at the Alameda Fourth of July parade. One year, they had three Sparrows: red, white and blue in the parade. I was not at that year’s parade, but there is an awesome picture of the three Sparrows on the East Bay Electric Auto Association website!

If you would like to convert a small gas car into an EV, I highly recommend getting in touch with the Electric Auto Association. They have several chapters around the world.