What is the size of the average American home these days, compared to twenty years ago?

I could only find data on new homes built, so that is what I will be presenting. Bear in mind, though, that people still live in homes built decades ago, if not over a century ago in some areas. Many people live in the 1,660 square foot homes of 1973.

According to the US census, the average size of a new house built in 1990, twenty years ago, was 2,080 square feet. The average size of a new house built in 2009 (most recent estimate) was 2,438 square feet.

I recommend looking at the data, which I linked to below. It’s fairly interesting, and goes back to 1973. It also breaks down average and median new home sizes in different areas of the country.