What should I put in my custom earthquake kit?

I’d prefer to put together my own earthquake kit rather than buying one from a store. I feel the ready-made kits may have extra things you don’t need, and are missing things you do need.

So, if you were constructing your own earthquake kit, what would you put in it?

1. Water bottle (I make an exception here–I usually drink tap, but there’s a good chance the water will not be working for several days after an earthquake, and most adults require 1 gallon of water per day to survive)
    2.  Flip flops or some kind of footwear (it would be very unpleasant to get stuck outside your house without footwear)
    3. Food that doesn’t go bad for a while (e.g. granola bars)
    4. CASH! (The banks, ATMs, and credit card companies may be down for a while, and if you need supplies, you’ll need money)
    5. Warm clothes that are compact (like a sweater, or even a blanket)
    6. A flashlight (for various reasons)
    7. Copies of important paperwork (fires are not uncommon after earthquakes)

For some more, see tip #3 under “What should I do?” on the link below.

I would add  a limited first aid kit (sterilizing wipes, band-aids, aspirin, maybe a dose of any essential medication you might take),  a space blanket (we had these in our earthquake kits in school), and a whistle.

For a comprehensive list compiled by the Red Cross, see the link below.

72hours.org is a great resource from the City of San Francisco that helps residents be prepared for any sort of natural disaster.  In addition to the items mentioned above, they suggest copies of important documents and phone numbers, heavy work gloves, a disposable camera, supplies for water purification, personal hygiene supplies such as toilet paper, feminine supplies, and soap, duct tape, and a number of other supplies.  Check out their very cool website for more info.

As descibed in this Slate article, I like the idea of purchasing a 40$ survival kit with food and the like, and then adding to it. At my home we finally got a kit together after the Japan earthquake, and we’re going to keep it under the bed nearest the door. We also have two meeting spots in case of an emergency and we can’t call or go home. One is downtown near school, the other is a park near our house.