What is the safest shampoo and conditioner for you and the environment, while still cleaning your hair well?

I have been using tea tree shampoo and I’m okay with it smelling like dirt, lol but the organic conditioners I’ve used never are able to tame and handle my long, fine, hair. I’ve used Deepak’s stuff and a few other organic brands. I want to get rid of my pantene once and for all but it gets out the knots!!

The link below offers a list of environmentally friendly shampoos ranked according to their levels of hazards.  The number one safest brand of shampoo they recommend is Burt’s Bees.  For more technical information about cosmetic products, refer to: http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

The Skin Deep Database provides a guide to evaluating beauty products on their eco-impact.  They rate products on a scale of 1 to 10 on their eco-hazard level.  There are a number of shampoos and conditioners with a “0” level impact, so check them out!  As a personal tip,  Dr. Bronner’s is a good place to start with shampoo, as it’s made of castile soap (just pure fat and lye) and comes in several natural-oil scented varieties.  Furthermore, you can do (the bottle purports) just about anything with it.  It works really well as a body soap, but let me advise from experience: do not try to rinse your mouth with it…insta-gag.  You can also buy basic castile soap and make your own shampoo, ensuring that you know exactly what’s in it. 

I have the same problem!!! My hair is long and fine and gets tangled really easily.  My favorite shampoo & CD, I wont go without it, is the Aveda Shampure line.  If i run out for a few days and switch to another eco-friendly line i get the knots back, but as soon as I replenish the Shampure my hair is silky smooth and happy again.  It just works! 

I also use a lavender-based leave in conditioner that is all-natural and inexpensive by Loma.  Sometimes it’s hard to find.

All of these products are paraben free.

Personally, I prefer Aveda shampoo and conditioner.  Aveda manufactures professional plant-based hair care, skin care, makeup and lifestyle products.  Their products are non-toxic and in recycled packaging.  With an added bonus, they smell amazing!  The great part about Aveda is it’s completely guilt-free.  The company funds renewable energy to offset 100% of the electricity used in it’s manufacturing.  You can go to http://www.aveda.com/products/CATEGORY10515/Hair_Care/Shampoo/index.tmpl  for a complete list of products.