What percentage of homes have solar panels?

I answered a similar question here in which I estimated that about 0.7% of homes in the United States were using their own solar power in 2007. Not knowing the current number of households makes an estimate of the present percentage difficult, but if sales have continued at a similar rate (which would disregard the economic downturn), about 700,000 more panels would have shipped within the States in 2008 and 2009. At a very rough guess, the current figure in the US might be hovering around 1%.

Worldwide, I have no idea. At the end of 2004, more than one million homes worldwide were using some sort of home solar-power system; I assume that that number has climbed considerably in the past several years. And estimating the number of homes in the world is a problem not only of logistics but of definition.