What percentage of building a house should go towards landscaping?

During my studies as a landscape architect, I was taught that in a residential setting, 20% of the homes value should be put into landscaping. For example, you own a $200,000 home, you should invest $40,000 into landscaping. Now yes, I know that seems like a large sum of money to put outside of your home. But for $40,000, your home can have elegant outdoor space, beautiful planting, an inground pool, decorative driveway and many other design elements.

Landscape design plans are usually broken into phases. So the $40,000 for landscape can be divided into a plan that might 10 years to construct and finalize. In the end, professionally designed and installed landscaping will rise your home’s value dramatically. Considered it an investment that you can physically enjoy.