What is the opposite of “green”? Is it “brown”?

There’s no official opposite to green, if by green you mean the environmental movement. Many people consider red to be the natural opposite to green (think traffic lights) but I suppose that brown would be an apt assessment of the opposite of brown. When you think of the change of seasons, or the death of a plant, things that were once green tend to turn brown. Unfortunately, I think we should be careful of focusing on negative aspects of things as brown and instead consider them ‘less green’ and try to make them more green.

I don’t think there’s currently a popular term using color to describe the opposite of “green” — if there is, I can’t find it. It seems like until recently, “green” was just used to describe a way of doing things different from the status quo, a way to distinguish a certain philosophy from business as usual. I think “being green”, however it might be misused as a term now, was originally intended to be the opposite of what people saw as the “normal” way of doing things.

I have to agree with the two answers here. “Going green” indicates a divergence from the traditional way of things, which “green” advocates felt was very wasteful and wasn’t paying appropriate attention to the needs of the environment. These advocates do not, I feel, try to represent their cause as a “brown” versus “green” dichotomy. Instead, it’s a contest between “the old way”, which deprioritizes environmental concerns, and “the green way”, which places such concerns at its core.