What is the most inspiring quote you have heard?

“I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I’ve realized that you are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment. But you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague.” – Smith in The Matrix

“God is not needed to create guilt or to punish.  Our fellow men suffice, aided by ourselves.” – Albert Camus in The Fall

I really liked this quote about friendship: “Friendship is like a plant that must be often watered”. It taught me how to value friendship and to keep on valuing my friends by supporting and helping them in any ways possible.

“Be the change that you want to see in the world.” – Gandhi

The best quote I’ve ever heard is juvenile in the fact that it rhymes, but profound in meaning.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” –Dr Seuss

When we all take the time to care about something collectively things will get better. That can be applied to the environment, politics, and your everyday life.

Nike slogan “just do it.” It is my favorite ever. People hold back on so many things they want to do because they are scared, they think they’ll fail, whatever. I go running to stay in shape, and on days I feel lazy and don’t want to go or I want to quit early, I just think “just do it” or don’t wimp out, and I pull through. And you feel so much better after accomplishing something you were hesitant to do.

“Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.”

This quote by Vonnegut completely summed up my life change a few years ago – I thought hard about what I was pretending to be (a tough guy, alcoholic who didn’t care about anything or anyone) and realized that although I truly cared about things like the state of our world and its environment, I was becoming the person I pretended to be.  I decided quickly that pretending to be someone I wasn’t would leave me a very sad and regretful person. Best decision I ever made.

“Men do less than they ought,
    unless they do all they can.”
    -Thomas Carlyle

While this quote may be dated, it is relevant to all walks of live including both men and women.  If we are to do anything in life, do it 100%.  It doesn’t matter if you are working, playing, or volunteering, if you don’t give 100% effort towards something, then the effort is not complete.  This is a motto that my mother taught me at a young age and it has helped me to do my best in life.  A true effort will always reflect back upon you beneficially, and if we can all strive to do all we can we might just be able to create a sustainable world.