what is the most environmentally friendly house paint to purchase?

I think we are looking for low VOC but not sure what that means.

There are now a few companies that offer environmentally friendly paint. These paints are more organic in composition and some of them do not even have a bad odor. Check out the links below.

Low VOC paint means paint low in Volatile Organic Compounds, which are certain chemicals in some household products like paints, wood finishers, air fresheners, and aerosol sprays. Some VOC’s are known to cause negative health effects such as eye, nose and throat irritation, headaches, nausea, and even liver, kidney, and central nervous system damage. In short, many cause indoor air pollution, and therefore paint low in or without VOC’s is much better for the health of a household.

The brand that immediately springs to my mind is one called Natura, a non-VOC paint, sold at Benjamin Moore and at many Ace Hardwares. It’s odorless and dries within one hour – how great is that? 🙂 I’ve included the website for it in the citations.