What is the most efficient way to travel?

The most efficient way to travel is most likely by flying.  You use less fuel per person when you fly as opposed to driving, taking a train, taking a bus, or taking a boat.  There are more environmentally friendly means of travel such as walking or biking, but those are clearly not very efficient.

I completely disagree with the above (sorry, brooke)… because I believe that the most efficient way to travel has not yet been invented… but it’s on it’s way! (Keep watching the Science channel and you’ll see.) My concerns with the above: First of all, this is a green website, so we have to count environmentally efficiency (and non-harm-causing) just as much as we count time efficiency — and one time, I rode by bike to class faster than a classmate who drove his car (he got way out ahead of me at first, but I caught up because he had to find a parking spot and then walk to the classroom, where I was already waiting), so in some cases, riding a bike is easily more efficient (from both an environmental and a time standpoint) than driving is. And I don’t know about this less fuel per person fact — this depends on the type of airplane, how many people are on it, and what type of car/ train / boat you are taking — so that really can’t be taken to be 100 percent true all of the time. What if the boat had a solar powered motor, a windsail, oars, and it was going downstream — and the airplane was a private jet!?  I think that handsdown the eco-boat takes the cake here (with green icing)!  I always thought that taking a train was the most efficient way to travel (when energy and impact are weighed)… but surely this is debatable. I’ll just let you know — bikes are 3 times more efficient than walking and give off no emissions (other than a little extra CO2 from our heavy respiration when pedaling) — so these amazingly simple and yet genius devices are definitely going to have something to do with the world’s most efficient (and quick) transportation system (which we have yet to see! — unless you’ve seen inside my imagination! or saw the thing that is very similar to what I’ve been dreaming up on the Science Channel!)

How efficient is Bicycling?  Here is an egg-planation.

A bicyclist burns about 25 Calories per mile.  One large egg supplies 80 Calories.   A cyclist can travel about three miles on the energy of one egg. “0” (symbol for one egg)

A person walking would require three eggs to go the same distance.

A loaded bus requires the equivalent of two dozen eggs for each person it carries three miles.

A train requires the equivalent of three dozen eggs for each person it carries three miles.

A car that gets 12.5 miles per gallon requires the equivalent of seven dozen eggs to carry one person three miles.

Even if you double the miles per gallon and double the occupancy a car will still use the equivalent of twenty-one eggs to make the trip — more than twenty times a bicycle.