What is the most eco friendly valentines day gift?

That depends on what kind of gift you’re looking for. If we go for the traditional categories, get a live potted flower rather than cut off flowers. Let the plant take out some carbon dioxide from the air. And you can always get some neat green gadget, like a solar-powered backpack that can charge laptops, cell phones, and other electronics. Or just give a bicycle, there’s no better way to reduce fossil fuel pollution than to drive less.

Those are great suggestions.  What I would add to that is (at the risk of being tongue-in-cheek), love is a zero-emissions fuel.  Find a creative way to remind your partner that your love transcends the commerciality of Hallmark holiday clichés.  Take them on an excursion to a special scenic place.  Write them a poem.  Sing them a song.  Celebrate your love in a way that nobody else would ever think of.

Well there are plenty of ways to be creative. If your partner is particularly eco friendly, then I say be very creative and buy him or her a carbon certificate. They are sold by the Adirondack company, and basically they are bought up by people and thereby prevent companies from releasing those emissions into the atmosphere. 

And other things that are non-existent in material reality.

I love the last answer. I was going to suggest that 🙂

However, if you a traditional Valentine’s Day but still remain eco-friendly, opt for buying your bouquet of roses from a local flower shop instead of a major national brand. If you are going to buy candles, try looking for soy-based candles instead.