What is the most dangerous disease for trees?

Interesting question.  While I couldn’t find the MOST dangerous tree disease, I was able to find a list of the top 10, at least according to STIHL (ironically a chain saw manufacturer). Some highlights are brown rot, Dutch elm disease, root rot and my favorite chicken of the woods.

I think it is hard to put one disease at the top because they likely cannot infect every type of tree, but if there was on particularly aggressive type that had a universal effect on all types of deciduous and carniferous trees, that could be a winner.

Chestnut blight has caused the American Chestnut trees to basically disapper from the Eastern United States. Some sprouts are still coming up from what’s left of some of the trees, but they do not last very long. There is currently no cure for this disease.

Here is what it looks like: