What is the most common Animal in Shelters in America?

Dogs are the most common animal found in animal shelters.  Many people buy or adopt a puppy before doing research on if the breed will be compatible with the owner’s lifestyle.  Often times the owner realizes they don’t have enough time for the dog, they don’t have enough space for the dog, or the dog doesn’t have the personality they wanted.  That is way before committing to any animal it is vital to research the breed and make sure you are completely aware of the commitment a pet needs.   

I am inclined to disagree with Jenn. While I can’t actually find the statistics to confirm either way, I tend to believe that there are more cats than dogs in Animal shelters. The following statistics from the ASPCA may (or may not) suggest that cats are indeed more abundant than dogs in shelters.

5-7 million animals are sheltered each year. Of these, 3-4 million are euthanized. 60% of dogs, and 70% of cats.

“According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), less than 2 percent of cats and only 15 to 20 percent of dogs are returned to their owners.”

“Five out of ten dogs in shelters and seven out of ten cats in shelters are destroyed simply because there is no one to adopt them.”

It appears to me that there is more of an over population of cats than of dogs. I will continue to look for a more concrete answer to your question.