What makes dry ice a dangerous substance?



  1. 0 Votes

    Dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide gas, which is odorless and invisible.  The “smoke” it seems to emit is actually just cold carbon dioxide gas.  If dry ice is stored in an area where there is poor ventilation, carbon dioxide can collect and pool, pushing air upward since air is lighter, which can lead to suffocation.  Symptoms of overexposure to CO2 include headache, difficulty breathing, and later, nausea and vomiting.

  2. 0 Votes

    Good question, tapia.  Dry ice is dangerous for two reasons.  Because it is so cold (-109 degrees Fahrenheit) it can give you frostbite just from handling it, and because it produces carbon dioxide when it melts, it is bad to breath in.  You should handle dry ice with gloves on or only for a second at a time and make sure you are in a well ventilated area.

    Hope this helps!

Please signup or login to answer this question.

Sorry,At this time user registration is disabled. We will open registration soon!