What is the largest oil company in the world?

9

Answers

It appears that ExxonMobil is the biggest oil company by market value, but the company with the most oil is National Iranian Oil Company – as of November, 2010. 

Exxon is only the largest by market value because the national companies, like the Saudi Arabian Oil Co. and more than a dozen others, do not have such market value in the capitalist sense; there are no shares to value. So Exxon is not even being compared to those companies in that ranking.

Hi Valkyrie, not sure how the comments show up, here is what I replied to yours on my answer – “No, not at all, I am sorry if I seemed to be criticizing, I was just trying
      to add the clarification (mostly because so many people EXPECT Exxon to be #1). No worries, not from me – again sorry if I came across too nasty. I’ve got a dying dog – that’s my excuse.”

By oil reserves, it is the Saudi Arabian Oil Co. By oil equivalent reserves (counting natural gas), it is the National Iranian Oil Co. By production it is the Saudi Arabian Oil Co.  Exxon is about #17.

Since I do not know from what perspective the question is being asked – What is the largest oil company in the world?
      I answered from 2 different perspectives and cited two different sources for that reason – is that incorrect? You cited two different rankings as well, from the same source, but different ways of ranking, and then added that Exxon on that specific list is #17, which is correct for that list and if we knew that’s precisely what was meant by largest, I would only have cited one source as well.

No, not at all, I am sorry if I seemed to be criticizing, I was just trying to add the clarification (mostly because so many people EXPECT Exxon to be #1). No worries, not from me – again sorry if I came across too nasty. I’ve got a dying dog – that’s my excuse.

I’m very soory to hear about your dog 🙁 Not too nasty, I apreciate your comments and moreover I appreciate your efforts on this site overall – you do take time to read the questions properly and answer correctly.

The National Iranian Oil Company is the largest in the world. (Runners up: The Saudi Arabian Oil Company and Qatar General Petroleum Corporation).  In the United States, ExxonMobile is the largest, but it’s number 14 on a world scale.

According to a study done by Petroleum Intelligence Weekly, the largest oil company in the world is the Saudi Arabian Oil Company. Petroleum Intelligence Weekly ranked the world’s oil companies in several categories including: amount of liquids and gas (output and reserves), products sales, distillation capacity, revenue, income, total assets, and amount of employees.