What kind of candy is the best for the environment?

I don’t have an answer for a general candy that is best; my guess is, with the packaging and mass-production of most candies, from Reese’s to M&Ms to Twizzlers, none of them are any good, for the environment or our health.  Just look at the list of ingredients and you can guess that there must be better alternatives.

From what I can tell, the best way to feel good about your candy consumption is to change it a bit.  Newman’s Own has a whole line of organic treats that are similar to ones on the main market: cookies like Fig Newtons (Fig Newmans) and Oreo substitutes are both delicious.  They also have peanut butter cups and peppermint cups instead of Reese’s or Peppermint Pattys.

Yummyearth.com has healthier, organic lollipops and gummi bears that are a great replacement for the usual ones.  Also, websites like Chocomize.com allows you to create your own chocolate bar and donate money to a charity, one of which is Action Against Hunger, an organization that is “committed to saving the lives of malnourished children and their families while ensuring access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger.”

Whole Foods and other organic supermarkets have whole aisles devoted to these organic alternatives.  I’m sorry I can’t tell you that the normal candies are great for the environment, but as you can see, there are many delicious substitutes out there.

And, as always, less packaging is best.

Try to get candy that contributes in a positive way to the environment.  Endangered Species bars were the first thing that came to mind.  They’re delicious chocolate bars that come in different flavors.  10% of all their net profits go to the environment and sustaining habitats for endangered animals.

Endangered Species chocolates give money to support the Rainforest Alliance, protecting endangered plants and animals. You can also get dairy-free varieties. Second would be any vegan candies, which don’t utilize bleached sugar or animal by-products.  

All the previous answers are great. I’d just like to add that it’s far better to buy fair trade chocolate and candy. Fair trade companies provide fair pay and treatment for workers, and promote sustainability and environmental considerations. Some fair trade chocolate companies include: Divine, Equal Exchange, Dagoba, and Alter Eco. You can find more organic and fair trade products at stores like Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Just make sure to check the label and beware of greenwashing.