What happens if I put all plastic that I use in a recycling bin?

Speaking from personal experience, many trash collectors will simply refuse to pick up a poorly sorted recycle bin. This has occurred when paper and plastics are combined in a single bin as well as when there are a number of plastic varieties in the same bin. Generally, only plastics labeled 1 and 2 are accepted in curbside recycling programs because they make up such a large portion of the waste stream and are relatively easy to recycle. If, for instance, you did place all your used plastic in the same bin and it did get picked up by the recycling truck, then the types of plastic, like PVC, are manually sorted out at the recycling center. As to where the sorted out plastics go from there, it probably depends on the individual recycling center’s policy.