What happens to all of the left over food in restaurants every day?

Good restaurants will give excess prepared food to local food pantries or to their employees. However, all the food that people leave on their plates is wasted, and restaurants incur a LOT of waste, every day.

I remember hearing that Einstein Bagels bags up their leftover bagels at the end of the day and they are donated to local food pantries. Love that!

If we are downtown or in an area where there are a lot of homeless people on the street, we always ask our server to wrap up the leftovers and then give them to someone who is in need. Our friends who were visiting from KC were a bit shocked (and embarrassed) when we did this but I’d much rather see someone with a full tummy than add to our landfills!