What is a green / sustainable alternative wood or other material to redwood?

One sustainable alternative to redwood is bamboo. Because bamboo is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet, it is the more sustainable choice compared to redwood, or other woods used for flooring. It is very versatile, available in a variety of colors, and in most cases, is usually cheaper than regular hardwood.

The link below has some great suggestions for wood alternatives including plastic wood from post-consumer wastes like tires, bottles and cans, or from plastics like HDPE which hold up to weathering and pests better than wood.  (Vinyl or Polyvinyl Chloride (PVS) is another alternative, but not a green one as it releases toxins and is not easily recycled

In addition to bamboo, you can purchase “sustainably harvested” wood from independent, third party certified companies, or depending on your project, you can buy reclaimed lumber salvaged from other construction or deconstruction projects. 

Bamboo is a great idea, and it would be my first choice. I would also suggest using clay, which is found naturally in the US. Below I’ve attached a couple links for sustainable building materials.